View Job Posting
Feb. 24, 2020
Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra, founded in 1894, has become not only one of Canada’s major professional orchestras but also a leader in Hamilton’s robust arts community. Concerts for families, seniors, young patrons, schools and teachers, plus initiatives like “Wellbeing”, are just some of the creative ways in which the HPO is rethinking the live orchestra experience and bringing it to a broader range of people. Currently there are 10 mainstage and 50+ community performances per year. If HPO’s Vision, Mission and Values resonate with you, you may be the Executive Director candidate we’re looking for. Living in Hamilton (Canada’s 8th largest city) Hamilton is much more than “The Hammer” or “Steeltown”! Building on a colourful history and rich diversity, it’s become a vibrant community in which HPO is a cultural leader and, of course, home of the Ti-Cats. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will locate in Hamilton, a dynamic city in which to live, work, learn and play. www.hamilton.ca/living-in-hamilton
Our ideal candidate will offer: Education/Knowledge
- A post secondary degree in Business or Management or equivalent.
- Knowledge of Governance models, Generally Accepted Accounting Practices, equitable Human Resources practices, Collective Bargaining and Key Performance Indicators.
- Professional development related to current Leadership and Management models would be helpful.
- Collaboration with a range of stakeholders;
- Plain language communication both verbally and in writing;
- Respectful, diplomatic interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences;
- Fund development skills including grant-writing.
- IT savvy in Microsoft Office as well as with customer relationship management tools;
- Effective time management, including efficient organization skills and the ability to juggle concurrent projects with competing interests.
- Common sense and good judgment;
- Community orientation, including organizations that may not be like-minded;
- High Emotional Intelligence;
- High energy;
- Passion for the professional performing arts;
- Resourcefulness, flexibility and resilience;
- A sense of humour!
- A minimum of five (5) years successfully leading people, programs and projects.
- Demonstrated achievements in a professional performing arts organization.
- A successful partnership with a non-profit Board of Directors.
- HPO is an inclusive workplace committed to diversity and equity.
- This role involves evening and weekend hours.
- This role requires a Police Vulnerable Sector Check.
Reporting to the Board of Directors and partnering with the Music Director, the Executive Director is responsible for the visionary leadership and tactical management of HPO according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors. Key accountabilities include:
- Board Liaison, keeping the Board fully informed on the operational and financial condition of the HPO.
- Leadership, both within HPO and with a range of community partners.
- Artistic Planning and Operations, maintaining a positive working relationship with musicians, leading collective bargaining negotiations with the AFM and overseeing concert production requirements.
- Audience Development and Outreach, ensuring ongoing audience development plans. Financial Planning and Management of a $2M budget, ensuring HPO’s sustainability.
- Fund Development, overseeing a diverse funding base, increasing the financial capacity of the organization and maintaining strong relationships with donors.
- Administration, overseeing the business office of the organization.
- Human Resources Management, attracting and retaining engaged staff (a core of 32 musicians, 12 full and part time staff plus seasonal employees and volunteers) and fostering a safe and healthy working environment which encourages creative thinking, productivity, growth and innovation.
To apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume in a single PDF document to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 13, 2020 at 5.00 pm.
- Find out more about HPO at https://hpo.org.
- All applications will be acknowledged.
- A detailed Job Description will be provided to those candidates called for interview.