Employee Benefits Underwriter
Nov 30 2022
We live in a global economy with an increasingly transient and mobile workforce. We’ve been in business for over 30 years, so we know what it takes to build and grow a successful organization. It’s about attracting, motivating and retaining the right mix of employees. Working from home means you can live anywhere and enjoy a successful career with BHH.
We hire dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience and advancement on a growing team.
We’re currently looking for an Employee Benefits Underwriter to support the Group Benefits division in the placement of new and renewal businesses. The successful candidate will be assigned a block of business and will be responsible for working alongside the appropriate Consultant/Account Manager to manage underwriting activity/needs. The Senior Underwriter will also develop and maintain relationships with local insurance carrier contacts and is an internal resource for technical assistance for all levels of Sales and Service.
- Analyze carrier data on accounts ranging from medium to high complexity, including flexible benefit programs.
- Provide recommendations to the account management team to support rate negotiations, financials, and funding recommendations
- Prepare and evaluate claim experience, utilization reports, renewal projections, and ASO budget rates
- Assist in marketing, analysis, and placement of all benefit lines of coverage
- Price plan design alternatives or new product considerations; prepare plan benchmarking review including analysis
- Assist in setting Employee Contribution structures, reviewing contracts, and preparing RFP specifications
- Assist in the workflow for monthly and quarterly financial reporting for clients as well as providing assistance in the negotiation of rates with insurance carriers and other suppliers
- Ensure that client information is accurate, current, and filed in the appropriate system
- Stay informed about industry development, changes, and legislative updates within all types of underwriting methodology
- Typically, more than 7 years of group insurance industry experience, preferably in employee benefits underwriting
- Strong analytical skills with advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership, negotiate and follow through to a satisfactory resolution
- Strong time management, decision making, and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to work in teams and be flexible to work under tight deadlines and changing client needs
- Ability to assist and maintain good working relationships at all levels across organizations
- Have or working towards CEBS designation an asset