Nov 1 2023
We are looking for a qualified Finance Manager to oversee the day-to-day responsibilities of managing, controlling, planning, and organizing the finance and accounting department. As a Finance Manager, you will be the contact point for all team members. You will play a key role in designing, delivering, and implementing the organization’s financial success plans.
We are looking for an exceptional communicator, to ensure smooth team operations and effective collaboration. Working directly with the Finance Director, this role will support the agency's mission, vision, and values and lead the team with compassion, honesty, and integrity. Using best practice knowledge, experience, and corporate accounting skills this position will guide the agency to make sound financial decisions.
- Create an inspiring team environment with an open communication culture
- Support and empower the team while fostering an environment for ongoing growth and development
- Understand and supervise a unionized workforce within the context of collective agreements
- Work collaboratively as a team with Team Leads, Supervisors, and Managers from other programs
- Financial Management of the day-to-day operations of the agency
- Recommend, implement, and administer effective financial systems, policies, and procedures
- Manage the preparation of forecasts, budgets, performance measures, processes and controls, and variance reports for the Finance Director
- Analyze financial information – cost analysis, revenue cash flow, salary/FTE and prepare internal and external reporting (reporting to various funding stakeholders)
- Manage the preparation of all required schedules and documents for annual audit and handle audit inquiries
- Maintain G/L account structure, integrity and update management of changes
- Internal and external Reporting (reporting to various funding stakeholders)
- Review bi-weekly payroll to ensure the correctness and accuracy of information
- Act as liaison with legal and/or Ministry representatives as required
- Responsible for monthly financial reports for presentation to the finance committee
- Responsible for managing and providing leadership to the Finance Team of employees
- Provide oversight, guidance, training, supervision, scheduling, and evaluating employees
- Prepares performance appraisals and manages the performance and culture of the team
- Assists with the interview, orientation, and training of new employees within the department.
- Review operations of department and agency to determine recommendations for strategic planning and development
- Degree or Diploma in Business, Accounting, Finance, or a related field
- Recognized accounting designation, CPA, CA, CGA, or CMA would be an asset
- Minimum of 5 years of full-time, progressive leadership experience which includes in-depth knowledge of and exposure to finance, preferably in a not-for-profit organization
- Understands complexities around diverse and continually changing funding and reporting structures.
- Strong knowledge of both current and upcoming not-for-profit accounting principles, standards, and regulations as established by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), CPA Canada, and other applicable regulatory bodies
- Strong understanding of risk management, fiscal responsibility, financial reporting, capital funding, contract laws, and partnership arrangements.
- Demonstrated a sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, people management skills, and issue-based problem-solving techniques.
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License; access to a reliable vehicle with insurance
- Knowledge of Sage/ACCPAC, PowerPay, Dayforce, and other software and accounting systems
- Excellent communication, organization, and time management skills.
- Working knowledge of Office 365, Excel, Teams, Case Management software, payroll systems, and other related software.
- Experience in leading a unionized workforce within the context of the Collective Agreement.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the company mission statement, philosophy, and ethical standards.